The Civil Engineering Department in AAA College of Engineering and Technology was established in the year 2013. Being the mother of all engineering branches and the branch which finds its relevance in all the basic needs of human beings, the importance of Civil Engineering is always evergreen. Civil Engineers create the world and make it a better place to live in. High rise buildings, sky scrapers, bridges, dams, canals, highways, airports, railways, canals, water retaining and storage structures, pipe line networks for water distribution and for disposal of waste water are some of the manmade marvels created by the Civil Engineers. Civil Engineers also play a vital role in protecting the environment by planning solid and waste water management.
The Civil Engineering Department at AAACET has well qualified faculty with more than 50% of the faculty pursuing Ph.D. It has well equipped laboratories with latest equipments and state-of-the art infrastructure. The department also provides consultancy services to construction companies for testing of building materials. Our students have proved their excellence in academics by scoring more than 9 CGPA in consecutive semesters. They are motivated and provided with attractive scholarships by the college Management. Academic support is given to the slow learners by professional mentoring and conducting additional classes. The department thrives to impart the students with basic knowledge which would help the students to identify and solve real world Civil Engineering problems in structural, environmental, transportation, geotechnical and construction engineering. It also guides the students to apply the acquired engineering knowledge for the planning, analysis, design and construction of complex Civil Engineering structures.
The Department conducts value added courses for the students to train them with the various softwares used for drafting, analysis and design of structures. The value added courses include AutoCAD, STAAD Pro, ANSYS, Revit Architecture and Total Station. It also provides value added course on Oracle Primavera which is the latest software used for management of construction projects. The students are also given exposure to emerging technologies such as IoT , Robotics, Basics of C Programming, Java Programming which equips them with wide knowledge and makes them industry ready for surviving in any competitive environment.
The Department of Civil Engineering of AAACET has signed MoU with the Federation of All Civil Engineers Association of Tamil Nadu & Pondicherry (FACEAT). The Students Chapter of FACEAT of AAACET organises a lot of activities & events for the benefit of student community. In Association with the Technical Association of Civil Engineering Department (CESA), this chapter is conducting activities like Guest Lectures by Eminent Academicians, Builders, Technical Quiz, Group Discussion, Modelling Contest, CADD Contest, Code cracking contest, etc., Frequent guest lectures by industrial experts helps to bridge the gap between curriculum and real time projects. Practical exposure is also given to the students by motivating and supporting them to undergo internship and in plant trainings
The department assists the students in fetching job opportunities in core and IT companies by giving them placement training in aptitude, soft skills and technical skills. This has yielded fruitful results as many of our Alumni are working in reputed construction companies and government sectors. Students are also encouraged to opt for higher students by giving them GATE coaching. The department takes all the necessary efforts to assure overall development of the students.
- To become the school of excellence in Civil Engineering that imparts quality technical education with high technical competencies to promote innovative research for the betterment of the society.
- To provide civil engineering education that advances intellectual development of students by following innovative teaching learning methods with academic and professional mentoring.
- To inculcate civil engineers with theories and techniques that would enable the students carry out research and provide cost-effective, innovative solutions for complex civil engineering problems in collaboration with industries and academicia.
- To develop diversified community of successful civil engineering professionals and entrepreneurs with social and ethical responsibilities.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Ability to apply the basic knowledge to identify and solve real world civil engineering problems in structural, environmental, transportation, geotechnical and construction engineering.
- Ability to apply the acquired engineering knowledge for the planning, analysis, design and construction of complex civil engineering structures with appropriate consideration for public health, safety and eco-friendliness.
- Ability to apply the domain expertise for the development of innovative technologies by considering cost-effectiveness and sustainability that leads to successful professional careers in civil engineering.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates will be inculcated with theoretical and practical knowledge with application of modern tools in the field of civil engineering that facilitates them to get employment in industries/pursue higher studies/become an entrepreneur.
- Graduates will possess competency to plan, analyze, design, estimate and execute complex civil engineering structures based on fundamental principles, design and safety requirements as per standards.
- Graduates will apply their acquired civil engineering skills and knowledge to provide solutions for various problems related to core and multi-disciplinary fields.
- Graduates will function as technically competent professionals with effective communication skills, managerial skills and capability to execute civil engineering projects utilizing latest innovative technologies considering social perspectives.
- Graduates will be receptive to emerging technologies and attain professional competence through lifelong learning by obtaining advanced degrees, membership in professional bodies, research publications and continuous involvement in professional activities.
|S.No.||Non – Teaching Staff Name||Qualification||Designation|
|Mr. P. Senthil Kumar||D.C.E.,||Lab Technician|
The Department conducts the following value added courses to enrich the knowledge of students in softwares and assist them in getting placements in renowned construction companies:
- Oracle Primavera
- STAAD Pro
- Revit Architecture
- Total Station
Oracle Primavera is a cloud-based, comprehensive project portfolio management software suite designed primarily for engineering and construction. Large companies take advantage of the software to make sure that the skills of their workforce align with the project requirements, that there are reliable data that can be used in making informed decisions, to create an environment that promotes collaboration, to improve working efficiency, and to keep control of all aspects of their project from just one place. Oracle certification is provided to the students on completion of the Primavera course. The Oracle Certification badge on the Profile of students would lead to promising job opportunities.
AutoCAD is a 2-D and 3-D computer-aided drafting software application used in architecture, construction, and manufacturing to assist in the preparation of blueprints and other engineering plans. Professionals who use AutoCAD are often referred to as drafters. AutoCAD is widely used in the civil engineering field because of its ability to plan sites a lot easier then hand drawings. AutoCAD also enables interior designers to create detailed images of interior spaces that can then be presented as design concepts to potential clients.
STAAD Pro is the most widely used software for analysis and design of structures. This software helps Civil Engineers and Project Engineers in analyzing and designing a wide array of structures. A qualified Civil Engineer or Project Engineer is supposed to be well versed in this software.
ANSYS is a software package that can digitally model real world phenomena. It uses computer-based numerical techniques to solve physics problems. The range of problems ANSYS can solve is immense and could be anything from fluid flow, heat transfer, stress analysis and more. Packaged software like ANSYS become embedded in the business processes of companies which use them. Hence for getting jobs in potential companies which use packaged software, knowledge and experience on ANSYS is a must.
A total station is an electronic/optical instrument used in modern surveying and building constructions. The total station is an electronic theodolite (transit) integrated with an electronic distance meter (EDM). The total station is used to measure the horizontal and vertical distance and angles between points located on ground. All the readings taken by this instrument can be stored into the inbuilt memory and the readings can be manipulated in either office or field itself. It has millimeter level accuracy. Hence knowledge of total station would help the students to fetch job opportunities in the field of surveying.
Revit is a building information modelling software for architects, landscape architects, structural engineers, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineers, designers and contractors. The software allows users to design a building and structure and its components in 3D, annotate the model with 2D drafting elements, and access building information from the building model’s database. Revit is 4D building information modeling capable with tools to plan and track various stages in the building’s lifecycle, from concept to construction and later maintenance and/or demolition. Revit can be used as a very powerful collaboration tool between different disciplines in the building design sphere. An experienced user can create realistic and accurate families ranging from furniture to lighting fixtures, as well as import existing models from other programs. Hence this is promising software which would help the students to fetch job opportunities.
All department of AAA College of Engineering & Technology organizes several programs in association with professional chapters, Industries, Academicians and Government agencies on a regular basis. The participating students and faculty enhances their knowledge and understanding of the various technological advancements brought to them in the campus through experts. For more details click the below link
The Department of Civil Engineering has well equipped laboratories which help in better understanding of theoretical concepts and exposure of students to practical problems.
The department has the following fully furnished laboratories:
- CAD Laboratory
- Strength of Materials Laboratory
- Hydraulic Engineering Laboratory
- Surveying Laboratory
- Concrete & Highway Engineering Laboratory
- Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory